2/05/2007

Ciao "Guardastelle"! the Man that Looks into Deep Sky

It is totally by chance that I have bumped into Paolo Candy, as I was looking for camera supplies on the web to take pictures of the night sky with my telescope... as it often happens the best encounters happen by total chance, or maybe fate...

In the picture: the telescope and dome of the "Cimini Astronomical Observatory"

My heart jumped when I realized that there was a great Astronomical Observatory in my neighborhood! To visit a real Observatory it had been my dream since I was a little boy. So I dropped Mr. Candy an email asking when I could go visit!

Paolo answered the next morning, a nice cheerful and welcoming reply! Invited me to go on the very same night, 6:30PM, when the sky was the best for deep-sky observation. I could not believe it!

As I arrived he was as friendly as a long time old friend, he made me feel comfortable and welcome and talked to me about stars, sky and optical instruments, as he was navigating the night sky with his telescope.

Paolo Candy has a degree in Astronomy and a great experience as teacher before he started his own project of creating this great Observatory, and a Planetarium (!), about ten years ago. He named his association CI.A.O.! The word CIAO is now world famous, as friendly greeting! No other name would have been more appropriate for Paolo's association! It stands for: "CImini Astronomical Observatory", where Cimini is the name of the mountains on top of which the observatory is built.

He writes books to present Astronomy to the public and help beginners. The Observatory is open for visits during night... and day too! ...when the Sun puts up a great show, on the stage on its own!

The highlights of my visit tonight were three: the wonderful vista of Sirius, brightest than the brightest diamond!; Orion's Nebula as I have never seen it before; and meeting and visiting with Paolo who's kindness, enthusiasm and professionalism go beyond your expectations.


Sergio (left) and Paolo (right) inside of the dome, by the 500mm Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope.

If you are planning a visit to Rome and have time for a day trip, I would suggest the following itinerary: visit the city of Viterbo also known as the City of the Popes with its intact Medieval flavour; then a visit to the Villa Lante in Bagnaia, famous for its beautiful Renaissance gardens; and finally enjoy a visit to Paolo Candy's Astronomical Observatory (before or after dinner) to watch the Sun or explore the Night Sky with a very special guide, Paolo, in the spectacular setting of the Cimini mountains!

To organize your visit you can write to Nerone Made to Measure Tours in Italy. We can provide private guides, transportation and take care of all the aspects of the organization of your trip. For more information write to: nerone@nerone.cc or call US +1 773 661 4142

No comments: